Commedia dell'Arte under the open sky!
For the Hexenkessel Hoftheater, summer is a celebration of traditions. Namely, at this time, the amphitheatre in the Monbijoupark transforms itself into one of the city’s most beautiful open-air theatres. Situated right next to the beach bar Mitte on the bank of the Spree, the ensemble with plenty of theatre makeup and opulent costumes performs Shakespeare, Molière or Goldoni.
Since 1994, the ensemble aims to “with the smallest possible ensemble and largest possible theatre, bring the way of life and performance of the historic wandering performance artists (Gauklervolk) to the folk”. With their contagious joy of playing and overflowing vitality they delight the Berliner public summer after summer. For the troupe, direct audience contact is just as important as accessible texts.
Every Monday, the actors clear the stage of the Hexenkessel Hoftheater and make room for musicians out of the entire world. With the “Monday Concerts in the Amphitheatre” musical bows are made spanning from Argentinean Tango to the Portuguese Fado, from Balkan Folk to Italian Chansons.
In the Monbijoupark, the summer season runs from May until September. In the winter, from November till March, the amphitheatre transforms itself into a fairytale cottage. Then, with the same fondness for stage scenery and costumes, the Grimm fairytales for both children and adults are brought upon the stage.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers