Berlin-style Greek amphitheatre
On warm summer nights, Berliners flock to Westend - with or without a picnic basket - to Charlottenburg’s ‘Waldbühne’, close to the Olympia Stadium. The popular open-air venue was created with ancient Greek amphitheatres in mind, and offers an excellent view of the stage and fantastic sound from all of the around 22,000 seats in ascending rows.
The venue was built as part of the constructions carried out for the 1936 Olympic Games, and was initially used as an open-air cinema after World War II (and a venue for the Berlin Film Festival) as well as for rock concerts – after the 1960ies, however, it fell into disrepair. Only in the early 1980ies, the venue was rediscovered and its current tent constructions were erected over the stage. The Waldbühne is now once again a regularly used city venue.
The event series ‘Cinema at the Waldbühne’ with its annual showings of the cult classics ‘The Blues Brothers’ and ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ enjoyed much popularity with Berliners until the event was cancelled a few years ago. Today, the open-air venue hosts mostly concerts - Bruce Springsteen, Depeche Mode, Die Ärzte and Eric Clapton are just some of the big names, who have played here, and some of them more than once!
The annual season highlight in June is the concert with Berlin’s philharmonic orchestra, which is usually sold out months in advance. It is the orchestra’s tradition to end their season here, under starry skies, finishing their presentation each year with "Berliner Luft" from Paul Lincke’s operetta "Frau Luna".
- SeeMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperiencePackage offerWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Package Offers
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlin WelcomeCard Package offerThe official Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information
Subscribe here to the monthly free e-newsletter and stay informed about latest news and seasonal tips!
- exciting Berlin News
- new travel offers