Former Jewish Girls’ School

Former Jewish Girls’ School

“House of Art and Dining Culture”

– © Wikimedia, Foto: Beek100

The former Jewish Girl's School in Augustraße 11-13 is a place of cultural encounter with the Museum the Kennedys, the gallery Fuchs, a mainstay of the photo gallery Camera Work as well as the restaurant „Pauly Saal“ of the "Royal Grill" team, the canteen „The Kosher Class Room“ and the „Mogg & Melzer“ with New York food.

History of former Jewish Girls’ School

One of the final building projects of the Jewish Community before the Nazis took power in 1933, was the Jewish Girls’ School in Berlin-Mitte undertaken between 1927 and 1928. The history of the Jewish Girls’ School was dominated by the Nazi regime from the very early days following its initial occupation in 1930. Deportations were even carried out in the courtyard in 1941. The next year the school was closed and taken over by the Catholic St. Hedwig’s Hospital until the end of the war. In 1966, when its function as a school yet again ended due to a lack of pupils, the building was handed over to the Jewish community. From that time the 3,300 square metre (35,500 ft²) building stood empty for many decades. Not until 2006 was a use found for it when the 4th Berlin Biennale was held there to great acclaim.

House of Art and Dining Culture

In 2011, gallery owner Michael Fuchs rented the former school from the Jewish community and in February 2012 the former Jewish Girls’ School reopened as “Haus der Kunst und Esskultur” (House of Art and Dining Culture). Besides the Museum the Kennedys, Michael Fuchs Gallery, the Eigen+Art Lab and a second mainstay of the photo gallery Camera Work, the location is complimented by exclusive culinary project, as the “Grill Royall” team, inspired by the Golden Twenties, is opening the “Pauly Saal” Restaurant as well as the “Pauly Bar”, “The Kosher Classroom” which includes traditional Sabbath dinners in its menu and the Mogg & Melzer, a piece of New York dining culture.

Galleries at Auguststraße

The immediate neighbourhood of the former Jewish Girls’ School is also rich in highlights. Diagonally opposite on the other side of the street is the Kunst-Werke (Art Works) Berlin, Institute for Contemporary Art, which presents national and international contemporary culture in the form of exhibitions, artists’ studios and events. Connected to the building complex of the KW – Institute for Contemporary Art Berlin you will find the Me Collectors Room Berlin.

Cultural Settings at the former Jewish quarter

C/O Berlin – International Forum For Visual Dialogues – International Forum For Visual Dialogues has also established itself in the immediate vicinity, and is dedicated to contemporary photography with changing exhibitions of international artists. You can visit the photography exhibitions in the former Imperial Postfuhramt (Post Office) up to the autumn of 2012, after which C/O Berlin is relocating to the studio houses in Monbijoupark. Just a few houses further on, you can visit dance events or attend dance courses every evening (according to its motto) in Clärchens Ballhaus – one of the last preserved ballrooms of the 1920s, or stop off at the adjoining restaurant to enjoy Italian and German cuisine. The history of the Jews in Berlin and its environs is depicted in the process of coming to terms with the past in events and changing exhibitions in the New Synagogue. In addition, the New Synagogue’s permanent exhibition “Tuet auf die Pforten” conveys to its guests the architectural history of the building.

Comments

Augustraße 11-13