International art at Martin-Gropius-Bau
The Martin-Gropius-Bau is one of the most popular exhibition spaces in Berlin and presents international exhibitions of fine arts and cultural history, often addressing contemporary contexts. Opened as a royal art museum in 1881, the Renaissance-style building was severely damaged at the end of the Second World War, received listed status in 1965 and was rebuilt in 1981. Tickets für 2013 exhibits are available online at visitberlin.de.
Anish Kapoor (18 May–24 Nov 2013)
Anish Kapoor is one of the world's most important contemporary artists. This is his first show in Berlin. The British artist Anish Kapoor recently garnered attention for his “115 Meter Tower” for the London 2012 Olympics.
Find more information on the exhibition here.
Horst Antes. Painting 1958–2010 (14 Jun–16 Sep 2013)
Horst Antes, one of the most internationally significant figurative artists of recent decades, has contributed to the global artistic debate more than hardly any other German artist. He has been shown at the documenta three times, as well at the Venice and São Paolo Biennale. The exhibition in the Martin-Gropius-Bau will focus on his painting work, covering all his creative phases over a period of five decades – from casual beginnings circa 1958, the abstract art of the post-war years in West Germany, to the spectacularly large and austere in-house images of the last phase.
Meret Oppenheim. Retrospective
The Martin-Gropius-Bau presents the first major retrospective to Meret Oppenheim. The playful and humorous treatment of everyday materials, conveyed with constantly new connotations, is a special feature of Oppenheim’s artistic works and links her to her artist friends whose company included Max Ernst, Alberto Giacometti, Hans Arp and Man Ray.
- SeeAdvertisementMust Sees in Berlin: top sights, Museums and city tours — all at a glance!
- Museums + Art
- Sightseeing Tours
- Group travel to Berlin
- Berlins locations of world history
- ExperienceAdvertisementWhat's going on in Berlin? Berlin events, insider tips for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Berlin.
- Food + Drinks
- Berlin offers more
- Winter in Berlin
- InformPractical information for your stay in Berlin: map, Berlin's districts, public transport and Berlin Tourist Infos.
- City info
- Travel information
- Tourist Information
- Group travel to Berlin
- Find + BookBook your trip to Berlin: hotels in Berlin, the Berlin WelcomeCard, tickets and package offers.
- Berlin WelcomeCard AdvertisementThe ultimate Berlin ticket: the Berlin WelcomeCard. Find out where you can get discounts and read all about our Berlin tours.
- Tours + Savings
- Product information